Thursday, March 3, 2011

Notes from The Austere Academy

In The Austere Academy, Lemony Snicket writes: "So as I hide out here in this mountain cabin and write the words 'hee hee hee,' and you, wherever you are hiding out, read the words, 'hee hee hee,' you should know that 'hee hee hee' stands for the words sound the Baudelaires had ever heard." (page 30)

In The Austere Academy, Lemony Snicket writes: "When Violet was ten and Klaus was eight, and Sunny was not even a fetus, the Baudelaire family went to a country fair in order to see a pig that their Uncle Elwyn had entered in a contest." This Uncle Elwyn could be the brother of Beatrice, or, more likely, the brother of Bertrand, or he could be a great-uncle, which would not be so interesting, but more likely, for why didn't he become a guardian of the children? (page 38-39)


When did the Quagmires move from the Orphan Shack to the dorms? Because a guardian had to sign papers - who is their guardian? See: " 'Duncan and I had to live here for three semesters because we needed a parent or guardian to sign our permission slips and we didn't have one.' " (page 48, The Austere Academy)


"If you have walked into a museum recently -- whether you did so to attend an art exhibition or to escape from the police . . ." (page 55, The Austere Academy)


"My friend Professor Reed made a triptych for me, and he painted a fire on one panel, a typewriter on another, and the face of a beautiful and intelligent woman on the third. The triptych is entitled What Happened to Beatrice, and I cannot look upon it without weeping." (page 55, The Austere Academy)

"Prufrock Preparatory School is now closed. It has been closed for many years, ever since Mrs. Bass was arrested for bank robbery. . ." (page 83, The Austere Academy)


Duncan: "We found a person matching his [Count Olaf's] description in the Bangkok Gazette, who was arrested for strangling a bishop but escaped from prison in just ten minutes." (page 157, The Austere Academy)


Duncan: And then in the Verona Daily News there was a man who had thrown a rich widow off of a cliff. He had a tattoo of an eye on his ankle, but he had eluded authorities. And then we found a newspaper from your [the Baudelaires'] hometown that said --" (page 158, The Austere Academy)


The above quotes of Duncan Quagmire could mean any V.F.D. member who could disguise themselves well and dodge capture. In the case of Count Olaf, he really committed the crimes, but if it was Mr. Snicket, he was falsely accused. That would be the only difference.)


"I once attended one of the famed masked balls hosted by the Duchess of Winnipeg, and it was one of the most exciting and dangerous evenings of my life. I was disguised as a bullfighter, and slipped into the party while being pursued by the palace guards, who were disguised as scorpions. The moment I entered the Grand Ballroom, I felt as if Lemony Snicket had disappeared. I was wearing clothes I had never worn before -- a scarlet cape made of silk, and a vest embroidered with gold thread and a skinny black mask -- and it made me feel as if I were a different person. And because I felt like a different person, I dared to approach  woman I had been forbidden to approach for the rest of my life. She was alone on the veranda -- the word "veranda" is a fancy term for a porch made of polished gray marble -- and costumed as a dragonfly, with a glittering green mask and enormous silvery wings. As my pursuers scurried around the party, trying to guess which guest was me, I slipped out onto the veranda and gave her the message I'd been trying to give her for fifteen long and lonely years. "Beatrice," I cried, just as the scorpions spotted me, "Count Olaf is
I cannot go on. It makes me weep to think of that evening, and of the dark and desperate times that followed, and in the meantime . . ." (page 167-168 The Austere Academy)

". . . any more than a woman disguised as a dragonfly can actually take wing and escape the disaster awaiting her." (page 171 The Austere Academy

No comments:

Post a Comment